Starting today, carbon monoxide (CO) alarms are required in nearly all Ontario homes. According to the Toronto Sun, Bill 77 updates the Ontario Fire Code to mandate the use of carbon monoxide warning devices in houses, condos, apartments, hotels and university residences that have a fuel-burning device such as a fireplace, gas stove, water heater or furnace–or if the home is attached to a garage.
According to the Ottowa Citizen, up until now only homes and other residential buildings constructed after 2001 were required to have CO alarms.
The new law is named the Hawkins-Gignac Act in honor of Ontario Provincial Police Constable Laurie Hawkins and her family, who died in 2008 of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a blocked chimney in their home.
The province will holds its first Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, starting November 1.
NFPA recommends that CO alarms be installed in a central location outside each separate sleeping area, on every level of the home, and in other locations as required by laws, codes, or standards. For the best protection, have CO alarms that are interconnected throughout the home. When one sounds they all sound.