As a new employee at NFPA, I am still learning about our customers – who they are, what they do and what they need to do their jobs. In my enthusiastic pursuit of everything NFPA, I set out to research our training seminars. Since August I’ve pored over hundreds of pages of statistics that detail what locations our attendees fly to and drive to.
A multitude of valuable NFPA knowledge now resides in the right side of my brain. However, the left side of my brain won’t let all of that data live exclusively on one side. One aspect of the research screamed for more attention. Our fly-to destinations were a way for our attendees and the instructors to weave in some personal time. Larry Wenzell, one of instructors from Connecticut who teaches NFPA 72 and NFPA 13 told me he is seeing more attendees combine their training with a vacation.
As an evolved, modernistic society where multi-tasking is now the norm rather than the oddity, our down time has steadily eroded. And the lagging economy has certainly changed the way we plan our vacations. What creative ways are you combining travel with NFPA training? I’d love to hear from those of you that took an NFPA seminar and then swung by Aunt Milly’s for a few days of R&R. Send me your story and pictures if you have them. I’ll pick a few stories and report back at a later date.
For those of you that are interested in heading to Florida, NFPA is partnering with LEGOLAND, FL for HERO days. Police Officers, firefighters and EMS personnel receive discounted admission to their parks. Go to www.nfpa.org/legoland for more details. Also, see below for a few NFPA training opportunities in FL over the next few months.
- 2013 NFPA 72®: National Fire Alarm andSignaling Code 3-day Seminar
- 2012 NFPA 70E®: Electrical Safety in the Workplace® with Certificate of Educational Achievement 3-day Seminar
- 2012 NFPA 101®: Life Safety Code® Essentials Focus on Occupancies Seminar with Certificate of Educational Achievement 5-day Seminar
- Select from 27 Seminars in Lake Buena Vista, Florida – November 26-30
- Select from 6 Seminars in Orlando, Florida – December 10-14